After careful consideration, we have decided that the 2020 Early Bird Run will become a Virtual Run. Read on to learn how it works.
The health and safety of our participants, staff and community is our top priority. Recent recommendations made by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) on 3/15/2020 have placed restrictions on events and mass gatherings of 50 or more people that occur within the next 8 weeks.
Because we have runners who were planning to travel to Omaha from all around Nebraska and the Midwest, we don’t want to delay making and announcing this decision any longer than necessary.
We know that many of you have been training diligently as you look forward to gathering for race day, so it took a lot of discussion (and a fair amount of heartache) for us to reach the conclusion that it was in everyone’s best interest to modify the day.
Our community is strong and resilient. We can and will get through this, together.
How it Works
1. Complete the Virtual Run. Complete a 10-mile run at any location of your choosing and submit your time online anytime before Sunday, April 12th at 11:59pm. Division winners will receive awards for normal categories. Also, consider joining the Pink Gorilla Events Strava club to stay active during this time, stay social and cheer on your fellow Early Bird runners!
2. Packet Pickup and SWAG.
Option 1: In-Person Packet Pickup:
Our Drive Thru In-Person Packet Pickups will follow social distancing best practices to keep you as safe as possible. Here are the details:
Date: Saturday May 30, 2020
Time: 10am- 8pm. Your recommended arrival time window was emailed to you on 5/13/2020.
Where: Nebraska Medicine at Village Pointe, 111 N 175th St, Omaha, NE
(See Arrival Map)
How: Please read and follow these instructions to make the Drive Thru In-Person Packet Pickup as safe and efficient as possible.
• Arrive at the Packet Pickup location via the exact route shown in the arrival maps.
• Please stay in your car. Packet Pickup will follow a first-in, first-out single file drive-thru format similar to a fast food restaurant.
• Prior to arriving, bib lookup and write down all of the bib numbers that you will be picking up. Tell or show our staff your bib number(s) upon arrival. Your bib number was emailed to you on 5/13/2020.
• You may pick up packets for friends, but please try to limit total packets to 3 or less. If you pick up more than 3 packets, we will have you park for curbside pickup. You will not need a signed proxy form to pickup packets for others.
• Our staff will ask you to pop your trunk and will place your packets in your trunk. Our staff will be wearing masks and gloves.
• Help us spread out the arrivals by coming during your recommended arrival time window, which was emailed to you on 5/13/2020.
Option 2: Packet Shipping:
If you prefer to have your packet and SWAG shipped or are unable to attend the Drive-Thru In-Person Packet Pickup, we can ship you all of your selected items for a small fee of about $5. You can place your order now using the link emailed to you on 5/13/2020. We are shipping orders weekly. You can request your packet be shipped up until June 17th at 11:59 pm.
3. Brunch. All registered participants will receive gift certificates or vouchers in their race packet to Early Bird Restaurant and Archetype Coffee to use at a later date of your choosing. Thank you for supporting these amazing local Nebraska businesses and the rest of our amazing sponsors that are supporting runners during this time!
As stated in our registration agreement, refunds will not be issued. We have also decided that, due to many factors, postponing or offering deferments to next year are not feasible for this race. We understand and appreciate that this may disappoint some of you. The funds for the event have already been spent in preparation for race day. We are a small organization and commit financially to the expenses related to a race well in advance of it. We are trying to make the decisions that are best for participants, volunteers, and sponsors, while keeping our organization in a position to provide races in the future.
Nebraska Medicine is committed to the health of our patients and community and we support Pink Gorilla’s decision to move the 2020 Early Bird Run to a virtual run. The decision to keep the runners, spectators, volunteers and staff healthy is of upmost importance during this critical time. This allows the runners to focus on their health and wellness while also practicing social distancing and working to flatten the curve.
We understand that you may have many questions about the event. We promise to keep this page updated with the most up-to-date information which should answer many of the questions you may have. If you still have questions, we’re here for you. You can also always email us at email@example.com.
Thank you for understanding and supporting Pink Gorilla Events and local running during these challenging times.